Yuanlei Small Classroom | Application of Transparent Powder in Wood Coatings
Yuanlei Small Classroom | Application of Transparent Powder in Wood Coatings
"Transparent powder" is a common name in the paint industry because of its excellent transparency, good appearance and better filling. In order to highlight its main features for the first time and the first impression, it takes the common name "transparent powder". In fact, transparent powder is not a single powder, it is in addition to the main ingredients of natural mineral rock, but also add special synthetic accessories mixed grinding modified modulation. The main component is a composite silicate containing magnesium, aluminum and calcium, which is an inorganic salt. In addition, it contains some sulfate and impurities. Transparent powder is a new type of functional transparent filling material with high transparency, good hardness, excellent hue, high gloss, good collapse resistance and less dust during use. Widely used in oily furniture paint, decoration paint, adhesives, inks, and plastics. At first, transparent powder was only used in oily wood paint. In more than 10 years, the market has changed from unfamiliar, understanding, careful use, familiarity, and a large number of applications to the current widespread use. Transparent powder can be said to have experienced a revolutionary change.
Transparent powder is divided into varieties containing crystal water and no crystal water. The variety containing crystal water refers to the chemical structure water (H2O) in the molecular structure of the product, and its volatile matter is generally 15%-20%. The amount of volatile matter depends on the crystal rock itself and the control of the production process. In general, the high volatile varieties of its transparency is relatively high, so many technicians worry that the volatile will not affect the use and effect of the coating? In fact, what really affects the quality of the coating is the physical moisture of the transparent powder, that is, the external water. The physical moisture will participate in some direct or indirect reactions, affecting the use and performance of the coating. Most transparent powder manufacturers control their physical moisture below 0.5, which maintains other properties of the product, such as dispersibility, anti-fog, dryness, side effects, etc., while ensuring its transparency. However, the transparent powder containing crystal water is easy to absorb moisture and produce coagulation phenomenon if it is not handled properly in the use process, and the normal dispersion effect can be achieved by means of grinding pressure. In view of this, the production enterprises are constantly improving, and the current situation of this phenomenon is also decreasing. In addition, although the transparent powder has good transparency, it also has a certain blue light phenomenon like fumed silica. If the construction is too thick or the one-time use is too much on some dark substrates, it is easy to cause fog and whitening by the blue light phenomenon, which is also a phenomenon that some enterprise technicians do not want to see, there are also some limitations in use.
Varieties without crystal water are no longer explained. Its main component is SiO2, with a content of more than 90%. It is a processing mixed powder of natural crystalline quartz. Its whiteness is mostly lower than that of varieties containing crystal water, and its transparency is excellent. Especially in polyurethane system, its transparency is better, and it has the characteristics of high temperature resistance, weather resistance, acid and alkali resistance and high insulation.
It is characterized by the fact that the finished coating does not produce blue light, has good recoatability, and overcomes the disadvantages of varieties containing crystal water, but its hue and sanding are slightly worse than varieties containing crystal water, and its stability and storage are better. Due to the relatively high hardness of the varieties without crystal water, it is relatively difficult for the production enterprises in the production process, and the power consumption is also relatively increased, so its comprehensive cost is higher than that of the varieties with crystal water, and in the processing process, its dust emission and noise are also higher than that of the varieties with crystal water, and various defects are also destined to be limited in application, only in some special or relatively high requirements, for the use of the formula with little cost restriction, it can reflect different general performance!
1. Wood coatings:It can be applied to PU, PE, NC transparent wood paint primer and UV light curing paint to increase transparency, oil wetness, hardness, improve collapse resistance, and can also be used to improve paint film gloss and oxidation resistance in solid color primer such as water-based wood paint and oily white paint, and increase paint liquid fluidity.
2. Oily adhesive:Can be used in adhesives to improve solid content, adhesion, hardness, drying and other physical and chemical properties.
3. Artificial stone:In the stone can improve its transparency, gloss, hardness, reduce the overall cost.
4. Plastic filler:Improve product hardness, fire resistance, acid and alkali resistance, electrical insulation, dimensional stability, creep resistance, crack resistance, high transparency, good toughness.
Compared with traditional filling materials, (I) transparent powder has the following remarkable characteristics:
1) High transparency:Because the refractive index of transparent powder itself is very close to that of most synthetic resins, the high filling amount of transparent powder basically does not affect the transparency of the finished product; the oil is good, and the paints, coatings and other products made of transparent powder have better opening effect than traditional transparent filling materials such as talcum powder.
2. High hardness and gloss:Because of its low oil absorption rate and high density, it can improve the surface gloss, hardness and abrasion resistance of the product. At the same time, it also partially affects the sanding performance of the product;
3. Low oil absorption:The oil absorption is low, and the addition amount will not significantly increase the viscosity of the product, so it can be made into a high solid and low viscosity coating. Compared with other products with the same oil absorption, its sedimentation is obviously better than other products, which can improve the appearance of the product.
4. Good collapse resistance:This product has good filling, hardness is slightly higher than talcum powder, deformation, shrinkage is small, adding paint and other products with high filling, anti collapse function, even for coarse wood grain substrate also has a better filling effect.
5. Good dispersion:Uniform particle size, good fineness, good wettability and compatibility for various resins, without sanding or roller grinding, ordinary high-speed dispersing machine high-speed (1200-1500r/min) dispersion for about 10-18 minutes can reach the required fineness.
6. Strong stability:This product is an inert material with strong acid and alkali corrosion resistance, high temperature resistance, strong flame retardancy and other advantages. It will not react with various resins, additives and solvents, and has good storage stability. Due to the special treatment, there is very little dust in the process of use, which is more environmentally friendly, more hygienic and safer than the traditional transparent filling material. Can be applied to a variety of fire, flame retardant coatings.
Some Problems in the Use of (II)
1. For products containing chemical structure water (I. e. crystal water), please avoid the related products (such as baking varnish, etc.) that need high temperature baking during construction. Glass-type transparent powder is not subject to this restriction in application, and has the characteristics of insulation and high temperature resistance.
After the product containing crystal water is made into paint, the paint solution will have a blue phase. When producing paint and coating for dark substrates, if the construction is too thick and easy to turn white, please use it together with other powders, or use it after determining the appropriate addition amount through experiments.
2, due to the transparent powder (especially glass type transparent powder) of high hardness, smoothness will cause the paint film difficult to polish, need to adjust the formula system, adjust the dry speed of the paint film, the appropriate increase in the cost of grinding agent.
3, transparent powder oil absorption is low, anti-settling is relatively difficult. In the coating system, relative to the resin, talcum powder, zinc stearate and other raw materials, transparent powder precipitation is relatively fast, because its proportion is larger than the resin, oil absorption value is low, so the precipitation is fast, the anti-settling system is required to make appropriate adjustments to meet the market requirements for product anti-settling.
4. Transparent powder containing crystal water is easy to lose water and absorb moisture, so its packaging must be moisture-proof and stored in a cool and dry place. The requirements for products in the storage and transportation process are also relatively high.
Transparent, product, crystal water, use, with, fill, paint, transparency, variety
Kaolin is a non-metallic mineral, which is a kind of clay and clay rock mainly composed of kaolinite clay minerals. Because it is white and delicate, also known as white earth. It is named after Gaoling Village, Jingdezhen, Jiangxi Province.
Barium sulfate is based on barite as the main raw material, through beneficiation, ore washing, crushing and other processes. Barium sulfate has a hardness of 3~3.5 (Mohs) and a specific gravity of 4.3~4.7. It has the characteristics of high specific gravity, low hardness and brittleness. Barite is almost insoluble in water, ethanol and acid, soluble in hot concentrated sulfuric acid. With the development of some high-performance barium sulfate products, the application field of barium sulfate is constantly expanding.